Unhappy employees will screw you six ways to Sunday. Seriously. So don’t be a dick! And if you’re already a dick, stop being one.
The most valuable asset of any organization is its people. If you want to work less and make more with your business, take care of your people:
- Pay them as much as you can within reason.
- Provide healthcare. Pony up and do it. Every dollar you spend on employee healthcare is equal to $10 in pay in their minds. It say’s that you’re investing in their health and safety. Whether they admit it or not, those are things they value more than a new car or beer on Friday night.
- Empower them. Give your people the chance to make choices and make mistakes.
- Allow them to grow as professionals. People who have the chance to grow in their jobs are less likely to leave for another company. (Forty percent of my staff has been working for me for over 5 years.)
- Remove obstacles to their success. Keep in mind that obstacle is often you.