Nancy Pelosi - Becoming Far more And Much more Irrelevant
Nancy Pelosi has been just such a fertile ground of political class insanity over the past four years she was Speaker Of The House. Take into account some of her finer moments:
- When Congress was trying to make a decision regardless of whether or not to extend unemployment advantages further, she produced the not quite so sound economic proclamation that sending out unemployment checks is one of the absolute finest ways to stimulate the economy and make jobs. Taken to its logical conclusion, her assertion implies that the a lot more folks that are unemployed, the a lot more jobs will be designed.
- When promoting some legislation to help the unemployed, she reacted angrily at the slow pace of the negotiations, claiming that "500 million Americans are losing their jobs every week." Given that there are only about 300 million Americans in the nation, not all of whom are old sufficient to function, it appears that she counts in a different way than most of us.
- As the opposition to the passage of Obama Care grew, she proclaimed that we had to pass the huge, two,000+ page bill in order to locate out what is in it and hold our disagreements until then. Why we could not know what was in the bill beforehand is nonetheless a mystery to me. Is it feasible that she did not even know what was in it at the time? Was Congress that significantly out of control under her reign that they had been passing stuff that they did not know what it was? Given that Attorney General Eric Holder initiated legal action against the state of Arizona over its illegal immigration law even although he had not read the twelve page document, it is not beyond the realm of possibility.
Funny stuff, in a sad, pathetic way. Luckily, she is no longer the Speaker of the Home, having lost her seat when the Republicans took control of the House Of Representatives in November. Even so, she is nonetheless a source of perplexing statements and views of reality, producing 1 wonder the exact same thing that Frasier Crane was thinking in an old "Cheers" episode when he asked Cliff Clavin: "What color is the sky in your globe, Cliff?"
Her most recent strange remark was in response to the a set of proposed spending budget cuts that the Home Republicans are proposing as a first set of steps to finding Federal deficit spending under control. Prior to seeing her quote, recall that throughout the four years she was Speaker Of the Home, the Federal government incurred some of its highest annual spending deficits by any measure:
- In absolute terms, in the course of her tenure as Speaker, the Federal government spent over TRILLION much more than it collected in revenues. This imposed about an additional ,000 debt burden on each American household.
- In relative terms, Federal spending as a percentage of our GDP was in the 10% range for some of those, more than three times what most sane economists would say is a secure percentage.
- In order to keep up with this 10% rate, the economy would theoretically have to grow 10% a year to preserve up. We are pleased when the economy grow three%, in no way mind 10%.
The genuinely sad portion of this economic disaster that she presided over is that when she became Speaker, she declared that she would run the Residence Of representatives budgeting method as a "pay as you go program." In other words, no additional spending would be approved by Congress unless cuts were produced elsewhere in the budget. This seems at odds with the actual outcomes, unprecedented TRILLION deficits every year.
So what does she say when the Republicans want to start off the long method towards fiscal control and discipline:
"Democrats are committed to fiscal discipline, beginning with an aggressive attack on waste, fraud, and abuse in our Federal spending budget. But we will not do so at the expense of very good jobs, a strong middle class, and a growing economy."
As usual, she provided no particulars on what this "fiscal discipline" would appear like. We have no experience with Pelosi's version of fiscal discipline since we in no way saw it for the duration of her four years as Speaker. We in no way saw how the Democrats attacked waste and fraud since they never did it throughout her tenure as speaker. Obama's own administration last year admitted that nearly billion a year is lost to fraud and criminal acts through the leaking government wellness insurance programs.
Take into account how CBS News reported on February 9, 2011 that Federal government job training programs are redundant and filled with fraud. It reviewed a Federal job training program in Iowa whose director misused taxpayer income, to the tune of .five million, for illegal bonuses for herself and other people, all of whom took hundreds of trips to casinos on work hours and on the taxpayers dollars. One more program in West Virginia found that its director illegally funneled ,000 of taxpayer cash to her son.
CBS went on to clarify that the Federal government spends billion annually on government job training programs but that is spread out over 47 different Federal agencies, most of whom serve the exact same folks. Of the 47, only five of the agencies have ever been studied to see if their trainees got more jobs than those that did not go by way of the training. The report concluded that "locating examples of waste wasn't difficult. It's not so simple to discover evidence the programs work effectively."
How so very well stated. Pelosi and the Democrats had been in charge for 4 years. They cannot blame Bush for any of this, it all happened on their watch. And now they have "fiscal discipline" and they want "an aggressive attack on waste, fraud, and abuse." Please spare us the drama. She had her opportunity and she proved that she could not or would not (the end result is the exact same) run a sane, efficient and effective government budget and operations.
Hopefully, she will by no means get a opportunity once more to be in any kind of power position, the nation would not be able to stand her bungling and lack of focus. Over 4 TRILLION dollars in deficit spending in just 4 years. That comes out to over five million an HOUR that the government spent that it did not have on her watch. Unbelievable. She does not deserve any kind of second chance. Let's hope she stays as irrelevant as her public rantings make her out to be.
If she genuinely wanted to see what fiscal discipline and responsibility looks like she would have regarded as the following steps:
- Step 1 - decrease Federal spending 10% a year for five years by performing a ground up view of every single government function and department, eliminating waste, redundancy, and programs that do not serve American citizens.
- Step two - aggressively pursue and prosecute fraud in all government programs.
- Step 3- reign in runaway costs in the Social Security Method by increasing the retirement age for those that can afford to wait and reducing or eliminating benefits for those that exceed wealth guidelines.
- Step four - bring back practically all foreign deployed U.S. troops as soon as probable, we can no longer afford to garrison the globe.
As Pelosi makes herself irrelevant, the President wants to be very cautious. A lot of the excessive deficit spending and waste and fraud in government programs happened on his watch also. That 5 million of deficit spending an hour is his quantity also. Unless he is careful, he could turn out to be as irrelevant as Ms. Pelosi if he fails to step up and display the courage to make the tough cuts that the government needs to make. If he does not, his White Residence tenure may well be half over already.
Find A lot more Leadership Speaker Articles